Thursday 22 May 2014

Antipodes Aura Manuka Honey Mask | Review

I think I have a bit of a soft spot for anything that hails from New Zealand. Pineapple Lumps come to mind...Rush Monroe's Ice Cream...rolling green hills...beautiful wineries...the list could go on!

My mum is a Kiwi, so really it is my family heritage which binds my heart to the Land of the Long White Cloud, ( all food jokes aside ). And proud of it I am!!


Antipodes are a New Zealand skincare brand, offering natural, organic skincare products with a conscious respect for our environment. Antipodes promote the use of sustainable resources in the manufacture and design of their packaging, in the choice of ingredients, and in the manufacture of their products.

 On a recent trip to the North Island, I found myself in a lovely little pharmacy in the city of Wellington. I had heard, and read great things about the Aura Manuka Mask, and knew from the ingredients that it would likely be a good skincare investment.

I say investment because this mask will set you back in the vicinity of $50 AU. Not cheap by any means, but for me personally, good quality skincare will always take priority over a beautifully packaged high end colour cosmetic.










As you can see in the photograph above, manuka honey is the second on the ingredient list in this mask. Manuka honey is produced from the Manuka Tree, which is native to New Zealand, and also some parts of Australia.

 All types of honey have antibacterial properties, whether taken internally or applied topically. Manuka honey is know to be the most "active" in terms of its anti-microbial action, making it an ideal skincare ingredient for problem/blemish prone skin. It is also known to be cleansing, anti-inflammatory, intensely hydrating and nourishing for the skin, and has been used for these same reasons by the Maori people of New Zealand for many generations. Also worth noting is the inclusion of Grapeseed extract, Carrot oil, and Pohutukawa extract. All powerful, protective antioxidants. Ticking any boxes?

The mask has a very subtle scent of vanilla, and I can also smell the distinctly herbal, sweet scent of the honey. It is pleasant and unobtrusive. The aluminium tube keeps the product protected from light, maintaining the efficiacy and stability of the antioxidants, and is very user friendly. The mask has the consistency of a thick, creamy ointment, and is best applied with clean fingers. I apply any product left on my fingers onto the backs of my hands.

While this mask will essentially 'dry' a little on the face, it never hardens or feels uncomfortable. I will often forget to keep an eye on the time...

After a few rounds with my flannel and nice warm water, my skin looks and feels calm and hydrated. Any redness or inflammation is markedly reduced. My skin feels clean and balanced, and has a lovely glow.

I try to make time at least twice a week to add a mask to my skincare routine, and I love that I can be treating any blemishes gently, whilst adding hydration to my skin. This mask can also be used as a spot treatment for blemishes. Unlike a clay based mask, you will not get bits of mask falling off your face as it dries (anyone else?) so spot treating is as simple as dabbing on an ointment. Nice.
 For me, blemishes will heal faster, without the dry and flaky skin (sorry..) and I find any redness is calmed and soothed.

I can safely say that I will always have a tube of this mask in my skincare wardrobe.

You can read all about Antipodes, find stockists, and peruse their product range on their website here

Antipodes is also available online in Australia at Adore Beauty , and more recently, instore and online at Priceline Pharmacy.

You can find Antipodes in the UK at both Beauty Bay and Feel Unique.

Have you tried any products from Antipodes? I would love to hear any recommendations you might have, and you know how much I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment below!


Thank so much for stopping by!



Blessings,



Lou xo




Disclaimer: As always, I make no guarantees regarding your own personal results with products. I am simply sharing my own experiences. Do always follow instructions as listed by the manufacturer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...